Sunday, November 2, 2008

A quick race on Saturday

The City Creek bike sprint is over. This is a less than 6 mile race up a paved road without motorized travel, totaling 1300 feet of climbing. It was tougher than I expected as I found myself working extremely hard to keep up with the lead group within the first 1/2 mile before getting dropped. I got dropped entirely too quickly, then caught by the second pack, then passed by a few others for the remainder of the race. Not exactly how one expects a race to play out.

This race was the quickest and shortest I completed, finishing in 26:50. This is a decent result, earning me my first race hardware for a third place finish in the 30-39 year old age category. I ended up at 18th overall among a group of 56. The course record is 20:54 and Saturday's overall winner achieved 21:46.

I am glad the race was rescheduled to November 1st as mother nature granted us beautiful scenery and excellent weather for a race at approximately 55 degrees.

I hoped I could have stuck with the lead group and been more competitive for certain. It took me a few hours to realize I was racing against a bunch of different race categories and I really didn't have a chance for an overall victory beacuse those more powerful people are all in the mix. Kind of a change of pace from the whole season as a Category 5 racer always competing against Category 4 and 5s.

This may well become a baseline race similar to the Snowbird hillclimb for me. I like the idea of racing this one in the spring and fall to see the improvements through one year, and to get a gauge of what the winter did for my fitness.

BCC Racing posted an entry for this race as well. Thanx Audrey!

No comments: