Sunday, July 27, 2008

what a race!

How can I be excited about an 11th place finish at Chalk Creek? Let me list the reasons:
  1. Our team got 5th place.
  2. I did my job. My duty was to help the team leader and I did. I covered some attacks during the last 24 miles, but most importantly the last 1/2 to 1 mile I believe I hurt some of the pack and set a fast enough pace to avoid last minute attacks. I led my team leader to the last 1k of the race.
  3. I stuck with the lead pack. That is quite an accomplishment for me. Much easier said than done; those guys were tough as hell on the way up and down.
  4. Our team executed the plan extremely well. I am quite proud of the whole team; everyone was willing to do their part for the team leader. Jerry kicked some serious ass setting tempo and Adam was able to be patient and let the race happen around him.
  5. The race was simply a lot of fun.
  6. It was great to have a cheering section. As boring as it has to be it's fun to get to the end and have people be there that care.
  7. It was an impressive team showing. 14ish people wearing the same team kit in the same group had to make an impact.

On a more somber note, I hope the person that crashed behind my back wheel is ok. I doubt I had anything to do with it; from what I was told he accelerated and looked away just as the pace slowed, although still in the mid 20mph I am guessing. Sounded like it hurt badly though. Shitty deal.

Turns out there was no need for the jitters. It was awesome, and, additionally gave me confidence for the upcoming two crazy ass races of 170 and 206 miles.

No comments: