Sunday, January 11, 2009

Test ride: 2007 Felt B2


Why 2007? Because it was in stock at Canyon Bicycles in Draper, it is discounted to $3000, and it is new. Lastly because Biker's Edge wouldn't let me take any of their bikes outdoor until spring due to salt on the roads.

This is my third test ride of a time trial bike. Feel wise I had a tough time differentiating it with the P2C. This thing was awesome; it was so quick and so responsive. The first adjective that came to mind when I stood up on it is Explosive.

Ok, now, I rode this directly after a pretty disappointing test ride. Once I got over the "this is more like it" feeling I started trying to compare to the P2C I rode a few days prior. The two are so similar to me I could not go wrong with either. The Felt was extremely quick, felt nice and tight, and feather light. It took most of the 1.5 miles on Pioneer road to think this bike was possibly lighter than the P2C and it turns out I was right, it weighed in at 19.0 - 19.1 lbs without pedals. After realizing my Icon mountain bike pedals weigh in at 0.75 lbs the bike comes to 19.85 lbs, very close to the P2C.

This bike is quite appealing even if it is over two years old. Yes the frame technology changed in the new 2009 B2. This bike comes with Dura-Ace components, a FSA carbon crank, and slightly better wheels that I could probably keep as spares, namely the Easton Vista SLs. I feel it is worth the $300 premium over the P2C.

Why don't I own this bike by now? I have to test at least one more bike as a loyal Trek fan.

No comments: