Thursday, January 8, 2009

Test ride: 2009 Cervélo P2C


I have been considering a time trial bike for awhile now. Today for lunch I rode the P2C, and since this is my first TT bike to ever ride, this will be the baseline for others to reach. Good luck Felt, Trek, and others I may come across. If you know me you know Trek has an advantage here, but we'll see.

This ride was awesome. I really felt like the bike was a knife on wheels. It was quite comfy in the 5 or so miles I traveled. I even got some climbing and tight turns in which were nowhere near as bad as cycling commentators make it seem. This bike feels extremely solid and comfortable at the same time, which is odd to explain but quite natural while riding. Put it on a straight (ish) flat (ish) road such as Washington Blvd in Ogden between The Bike Shoppe and Harrison and it goes like mad. It glides actually, an attribute I also admire of my Madone. There is definitely a sense of excellent power transfer.

This gorgeous blue and black machine seems to be value priced at $2700, mostly due to slapping on Shimano R500 wheels which are quite basic. Those wheels can be taken off for a credit of approximately $200 (hint), and The Bike Shoppe gave me an option of a Bontrager Race X Lite rear wheel with SL+ for $1500, making the wheels $1300, making the bike with decent wheels $4000. This bike weighted in at 19.9 lbs with my Icon SPD mountain pedals. TT bikes are typically heavier. This one has Ultegra drivetrain with the exception of a FSA crank.

1 comment:

TelemarkTumalo said...

I've been riding a P2C for a couple of years now and the thing is great! I have raced a number of multisport events and participate in local tt events and the thing is a rocket. In defense of the Shimano wheels... while heavy, they are durable training wheels. I swap them out for my Zipp 808/404 tubular combo for races, taking about a pound of rotating weight off for competition. Definitely a bargain and extremely fast and comfortable... and it looks great too.

Bend, OR