Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So THAT's what a crash feels like

I had a brilliant idea - Let's go to RMR tonight for some fast criterium fun to see if I improved at all during the season. Plus I have this relatively new fancy bike computer that tracks my heartrate and I want to find my max.


2 1/2 laps to go I decelerate from 30 to 0 miles per hour in 0 inches due to some person falling in front of me. He falls, I don't know why, and I'm the #2 guy. The #2 guy has a unique responsibility. He is in charge of being a ramp for everyone behind him to help them fly over the #1 guy.


I was fortunate enough to get away with some road rash with all body parts remaining in working order. Somehow I found myself sitting up on the road as others were slamming in the back of my helmet to slow their momentum. I still don't understand how I can go from crouched on my bike at 30 miles per hour to sitting on the road, legs forward, bike to my right, stopped. The last thing I thought (after thinking OH F***) was "this is going to be a spectacular superman trip." Somehow I ended on my ass.


My poor bike. My poor front wheel. My baby. I get to figure out if this wheel can be fixed but I doubt it. And my race shorts are dead, but that's not as big of a deal cause I bought 2 race kits, and I can replace them with black shorts. I like my soccer ball as a placeholder for my ass, what do you think?



Oh, Max heartrage: 196 bpm. Did I improve? Donno. It was actually intimitading to race in a criterium again after taking a break for a few months. I was feeling pretty nervous, but I had the strength to cover the accelerations.









No comments: