Wednesday, September 3, 2008

LOTOJA is imminent

It has been quite a ride this year, as in adventure.

I have 3400 miles on my bike computer; over 3300 on the road. According to one of the LOTOJA veterans on lotojaclassic.com I am less than half way to where I need to be if I want to be competitive. Unfortunately I have a life, sort of. It already feels like my life was dedicated to riding this year; I donno how people can put in twice this much mileage and have a full time job.

I made great friends during this training year. If they knew about this blog thingy they would get all teary eyed right here...

I learned a bunch about myself during this training year. Interesting how a hobby can do that.

I learned about racing, criteriums, nutrition, endurance, energy management, and a slew of other freaky things to get that little tiny edge.

Yep, similar to everyone else it sure sounds as if this is the end of my season. I hope not but we'll see.

I need to learn a bunch more about how to be generous. I cannot comprehend the level of generosity it has to take for my woman to watch, support, and suffer through this kind of thing. Truly amazing. She can teach me a lot.

I need to learn a bunch more. Period.

Huh, not much of this is about LOTOJA. I am excited, ready, nervous, and I wish I coud write "optimistically cautious" but I need to keep telling myself I am going to kick its ass. I AM going to kick its ass.

It has been quite a ride getting here, let's see what happens next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only got 3,900 miles, so I'm in the same boat.

Of course, I'm not entirely racing to win. I still want a good time, though.

If you think you're finding time to train difficult, try adding kids and a night job into the mix.

Once we get to the top of the first summit, we'll only be 60 miles into the race, but in some ways half of the work is over.

I'm breaking the ride into three parts and tackling each one individually. I think we'll both cross the line just fine.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful compliment and I'm glad to be your Sag hag any time.