Friday, April 24, 2009

I officially declare myself injured.


One week later my right knee is again quite unhappy. The plan was to recover during the week by avoiding the bike and all other hard effort until Thursday. Then I felt I had to at least get a warm up ride for the upcoming race to properly set up my bike and loosen up. Leading up to Thursday was promising to the point I barely felt anything in my knee during the day. That evening's ride started out nicely but 20 minutes into it turned ugly in the form of sharp pains inside my knee every pedal stroke, where the sharpness increased relative to the effort.

After a 40 minute ride I had to come to the conclusion I would not race East Canyon. I tried to rationalize: maybe the adrenaline would deaden the pain. Maybe I could suffer through it. Maybe it would only be a few moments of suffering with enough recovery. I don't feel pain when I stand, I'll just stand everytime there is a surge in speed.

I had East Canyon as a goal this year; I wanted to see great improvements over last year's race. Now I'm sitting here staring at my race number and chip wondering "what if". Could I have stuck with the pack this year? Could I have sprinted that killer uphill finish? Could I have gotten away during the last climb? Would they have caught me?

The hope is to recover for Bear Lake. I F@#$@$ better. Not a happy camper right now. If I had a mood ring it would be a pile of ashes at this moment.



1 comment:

utah folks said...

Thats too bad, East Canyon Race was great and no rain.