Saturday, April 11, 2009

A weekend in Tooele - part 1

My first stage race ever starts with a nine mile individual time trial. I was excited due to my desire to get into stage racing and time trialing.

The excitement had me at heart rate zone 2 - 2.5 as I was waiting to start my time trial. The start box was way cool; it is a great help to start down that ramp and get going immediately. Power output at the start: 597 watts.

The excitement ended at approximately 1.3 miles when I got passed by the 30 second person behind me. I hadn't reached the F@#$# climb yet, damn. That's ok, maybe that one guy is just ridiculously strong. I still see my 30 second guy, maybe I can catch him. I didn't.

I got passed by 3 or 4 people before it was over. I averaged 21.6 mph, 218 watts for 24 minutes. That yielded me nearly last place, 4 minutes behind the leader. Ouch.

Gory details are on Garmin Connect.

No comments: