Saturday, April 11, 2009

A weekend in Tooele - part 2

The second part of the day includes a 25 mile circuit race over a 5 mile circuit. One word: Brutal.

Of course the first lap everyone is just trying to get rid of the weaker riders. It worked; I believe approximately 1/3 of the group went away. Second lap and third laps are just as tough, with the fourth and fifth laps turning out to be a bit more relaxed. What that means in power is the first three laps I hit 335-355 watts to stick to the group, where the last two I got away with under 233-282. Heart rate wise that translates to hitting the 190s vs staying under 184. See pretty graphs at Garmin Connect.

The finish was nuts. I reached 41.7 miles per hour which earned me a 13th place. Yeah, I can see why so many people like sprinting, what a rush!

I still don't know the difference between a circuit and a criterium, but I'm about to look it up. Effort wise there is simply no difference.

No comments: