Tuesday, April 21, 2009

VO2 tested - I passed

Last night I was tested by Hakenya at their portable testing facility in Bountiful. First impression: Nice rig. This portable testing facility takes the form of a 40 ish foot fifth wheel travel trailer, totally [pimped] customized with Hakenya logos. I have to add I was lucky enough to get tested after being 45 minutes late due to a crash on the freeway in Draper.

After changing into bike clothes a blood pressure test is taken, and apparently I needed to take a seat to relax before starting as my pressure was high. Another test is taken a few minutes later and things are better so the test can start. I get fitted to the stationary bike to start warming up for 10 minutes or so then we discuss test details, measurements, the mask, the visual displays, and how the test will end once I puke. Of course if I go to completion of the software, I get a free dinner anywhere I want. Yeah.

So the VO2 test is a ramp test where the difficulty increases approximately every two minutes. I get to point to a piece of paper to describe my percieved exertion, from easy to hard to something meaning I'm about dead.

Oh, by the way, I made a verbal agreement that I won't sue if I die as a result of this test. Funny. I won't sue after I'm dead, promise.

Here's one great customer service moment: I am asked what music I like. I finally say "if you want results let's put some Metallica on." 117 Metallica songs were available. Nice.

The test gets going; easy at first and increasing in difficulty until I give up. Within 30 seconds I say I could have lasted longer. I remember having my head down working damn hard and hearing some "you can do it, you got it, keep it up" from the testers but I just stopped, no puking, no passing out, no death. I am pretty sure that makes me a whimp.

I also remember a few blood pressure tests during the event. And trying to keep a 90 rpm cadence. That is interesting because I find I increase my cadence to overcome hard efforts at times, but sticking to 90 instead of moving to 95-100 was tough. After awhile sticking to 90 was tough enough.

After I gave up I had a few minutes of easy spinning to get my heart rate down as we discussed the results. And I get upsold on a power analysis. But my legs are still shaking from the last effort. But I'm already warmed up. But I'm shaking. Let's just do it.

Power analysis: 2 minutes of warmup, 1 minute sprint - as hard as I can - 2 to 4 minutes of recovery, 1 mile TT - keeping a consistent as hard as possible output, 4 minutes of recovery, 4 mile TT also keeping a consistent as hard as possible output. That hurt. Lots.

I received some data and will receive more data later. It was worthwhile at least to confirm my measurement tools are working and the data I have captured in the last year is accurate. It is also interesting to hear feedback from a Cat 1/2 racer that seems quite knowledgeable. Lots of good information to apply. I recommend it.

3 comments:

utah folks said...

Are you racing the East Canyon Road Race? D

kratka said...

No. I am registered but my body is broken. I unfortunately have a knee injury since last Saturday which thoroughly pisses me off. Want to race in my place? I have a number and a chip for someone to use.

utah folks said...

I am already going to be there, thanks though. I raced my first two mountain bike races this year also in St. George. They were fun, but tough.